Monday, April 18, 2011

Primeday & Family Home Evening

"Everybody's looking forward to the Rebellion."
- Princess Leia in "Primeday"


Maybe it's because I'm the youngest in my family. Maybe it's because I'm a Polynesian living in the heart of a conspicuously homogeneous Caucasian community. Maybe it's just because I love underdog stories. Maybe it's because I was brainwashed by Rastafarian ideologies and dreams of Utopian society since I was a child. Or maybe it's just because I love rebellion in general. I don't know what it is, but I've always felt like I was meant to form some part of an "underground" movement to change the world for the better.

And I guess that's what I like about Family Home Evening (FHE). FHE is the perfect time to get together with your family and strengthen your rebellion against unwanted influences imposed upon your family by outside forces. The best thing about it: you decide which influences you don't want imposed upon you. There's nothing more backwoods, colonial, "don't-tread-on-me" American than that, boy.

If you need ideas for how to fill the time, you can always check out the FHE Resource Book. In all honesty, our Family Home Evening is more like Family Home 5 Minutes because it's hard to keep the kids' attention and participation in structured activities for an entire evening. But more than anything, it's a great opportunity to spend time together and just have some fun.

Monday is the suggested day for FHE, but you can change the day to fit your family's unique situation and needs. Just find the best or prime day which works for you.

No comments: