Sunday, April 3, 2011

First!

"Saint Peter" by Peter Paul Rubens
(Anyone else think Peter looks creepy here?)

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" (1 Peter 2:9).

Let's face it. People think Mormons are weird. Don't believe me? Go ahead. Google "Mormonism." I'll wait.

Alrighty then. Ya see what I mean?

But why are we so weird? I dunno. But something tells me it all stems from the fact that we're supposed to be a "peculiar people." It probably is.

Well I don't know about you, but when I think of "peculiar people," I think of that creepy guy with the 'stache that's eye-ing your kid from across the playground. Now that's peculiar to me. We Mormons might like kids a lot, just not like that...at least we're not supposed to.

And that's why I'm making this blog, to show that we're not all creepy (even though you may think I am...sorry about that). But most of all, I want to show that there are a wide variety of (non-splinter group) interpretations that exist within the "mainstream" of Mormonism.

Believe it or not, this blog is actually aimed at mainstream Mormons. But anyone can read it...and comment on it. After all, we need both sides of the story here. So feel free to share what's on your mind about the topics we discuss. We'll try to keep it as candid, but respectful, as possible.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to post something mainstream (read: non-Mormon) everyday and see if I can reconcile it with my Mormon beliefs. This could be interesting. Let's see how it goes.

No comments: